[I KILLED MY MOTHER screens Friday June 7th at 5:15 pm and Saturday June 8th at 7:00 pm at the Cleveland Cinematheque.]
Review by Charles Cassady, Jr.
I understand a new book is out entitled The End of Man that potentially
explains a lot about my decades of failed job searches. It seems that,
as corporate bottom-line-capitalism grows ever more ruthless, the
management goal is now to hire as many women as possible instead of men.
Females can be paid less to work harder, says the author (a woman
herself). Struggling single mothers are especially prized by amoral HR
(whom, I personally notice, are always female; the one male
human-resource specialist I met had been laid off). Single moms, fearful
of their financial lifeline and already beaten-down by parenting
chores, will not make any waves while letting the company exploit,
overwork and generally walk all over them. So goes the
business/Personnel Department principles.
I'm afraid I can
readily believe that, at least here in Ohio. And thus, I have doubtless
lost numerous opportunities at employment, however thankless, that at
least might have paid me a stable, livable wage when I desperately need
it. And I lost to bargain-priced single mothers (even though, in
desperation, I might have worked for even cheaper than they would) with
minimal qualifactions. And I'll bet Cleveland's HR Mean Girls who did
the hiring gave themselves a little deep-denial pat on the back that
they were promoting `feminism.'
In my fantasies of revenge, I can
at least hope these hapless single moms who stole my life are cursed
with a son like the one in I KILLED MY MOTHER, a 2009 Canadian
(French-Canadian, to be exact) psychodrama with some squirming moments
of discomfort in depicting a toxic mother-son relationship.
Shockingly
young hyphenate filmmaker-producer Xavier Dolan stars (really courting
the Orson Welles curse, kid) as Hubert, a sullen 16-year-old aspiring
artist/writer whose feckless father walked out on the family when his
son was 4, leaving Hubert in the care of his petit-bourgeois mother
Chantal (Anne Dorval). Her last name is Lemming, lest anyone miss the
point. Working a middle-class cubicle job and keeping the sterile
household filled with kitschy, pretty things, Chantal is the oft-stoic
target of her rebellious son's insults and rages.
"When I try to
imagine what the worst mother in the world is like, I can't do better
than you," the youth shouts. Hubert obviously hasn't seen THE 400 BLOWS;
Truffaut served up a pretty memorable specimen there.
Hubert
[UNE `SPOILER ALERT,' PEUT-ETRE] turns out to be gay, and he plans to
move out and live with his schoolmate crush Antonin, whose own single
mom is so cool she cavorts with her latest lover in front of the two
boys (now a woman like that is probably single-mom gold on the
employment front). Chantal first gives Hubert permission...then takes it
back, one of several times her dronelike façade cracks and she locks
horns with her offspring, sometimes with venom and fury equal to his -
as when Hubert informs a favorite teacher at school that his mother is
dead.
Yet, Hubert is also capable of showing love and tenderness
to his mother. He just doesn't like her at all. I'm not entirely sure -
and all credit to Xavier Dolan that he doesn't spoon-feed the viewer
messages like another tyro director would - what opinion we're supposed
to have of Hubert. A true deep thinker and prodigy who has to put up
with this dull woman? Or a pretentious-intellectual boho prick going
through a particularly ugly teen-rebellion phase, whose `artistic' ego
requires him to think his own mother is beneath him?
In any case,
there are some painfully raw emotions here. Good for John Ewing, of the
Cleveland Cinematheque, for not booking this movie as a Mother's Day
tie-in (I'll bet he gave it serious thought, though). I was reminded
early on that a couple of decades ago there was an American indie movie
entitled THE BOY WHO CRIED BITCH, a nervy piece about an uncontrollable,
vicious adolescent and his clashes with the young single mom unable to
cope with him. It received some notoriety for 1990s distributors not
wanting to touch the feelbad property with a ten-foot pole, though the
Cleveland International Film Festival did indeed show it on the big
screen, to bum out crowds at Tower City.
I KILLED MY MOTHER is
not a borderline-horror picture like that one, but many moments are
equally uncomfortable. I am given to understand that Xavier Dolan's film
similarly floundered in the US marketplace after the distributor went
out of business (maybe because HR hired inexperienced single mothers to
try and peddle the production instead of employing veteran showman - no,
I can't let go of this, I can't). Take advantage of this chance to see
the challenging drama while you can. Just - to quote CABARET - don't
tell mama. (3 out of 4 stars)

No comments:
Post a Comment
We approve all legitimate comments. However, comments that include links to irrelevant commercial websites and/or websites dealing with illegal or inappropriate content will be marked as spam.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.